Eating a mostly gluten free diet I have been missing crackers. Yes I know there are lots of gluten free crackers for sale but the prices are outrageous for a little handful of crackers. Feeding a family of 6 we cannot afford to buy GF crackers. My amazing sister in law came up with this recipe from the gluten free quinoa flax sourdough starter we have.
Mix the ingredients together and let rise for 3-4 hours (or more if it is cool, up to 12 hours). When ready to work with the dough lay a large piece of parchment paper out on a cookie sheet. I like to press the dough out onto the cookie sheet and flatten it out by hand. You can also put another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. The dough will be very sticky. Sprinkle flax and quinoa seeds on top of the dough to make it easier to work with. With flattened out to about 1/8-1/4 inch then coat with salt.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes until set and then score into crackers of your preferred size.
Reduce temperature to 220 and bake another 20 minutes. Turn over and bake another 10-20 minutes until your desired consistency.
I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Flaxseed Brown, 24-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
and this quinoa from Vitacost (this are my affiliate links from which I will benefit if you purchase).
For more of my sourdough recipes take a look at the sourdough page here at Purposeful Nutrition.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa flour (or more as needed)
- 1 cup ground flax
- 1 /2 cup almond flour
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 3 cups very active quinoa sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix starter and flours, add liquid 1/4 cup at a time until thick like batter.
- Mix on high for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Add more quinoa as needed to make batter thick enough to work with.
- Let rise 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle flax seeds and quinoa seeds and roll out the dough or use your fingers to press out the dough onto parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- Press seeds on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes until set.
- Score into crackers of desired size and shape and separate pieces if possible.
- Reduce temperature to 220 and bake 20 more minutes.
- Turn over the crackers and continue until desired crispness, up to 20 more minutes.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.