We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Natural Herbal Living Magazine is a new monthly e-zine out on the market. i was given the opportunity to do a review and a giveaway. This review is totally my own. (I am an affiliate for this e-zine and the corresponding box so will benefit if you sign up through my affiliate link.) I was able to read through the introductory issue called Herbalism for Beginners and then the next issue on Rosemary.
I thoroughly enjoyed the articles and information in these 2 issues of this magazine. The writing was tight and interesting and there were some lovely photos at the beginning of each article. The first issue had 3 articles, Approaching Herbalism for Beginners, An Introduction to Herbalism, An Intro Flower Essences, and Using Essential Oils Safely. I was very glad to see guidelines I am comfortable with on using the essential oils safely as there is much controversy on this topic. I have shared a few things from that issue that I thought was very helpful.
“That there is usually nothing efficient, quick, or tidy about real healing, that we see more positive change when we work with plants rather than use them, and that the knowledge of herbs takes us down never ending, fascinating rabbit holes of healing possibilities.” Tina Finneyfrock
Guidelines for Using Herbs from Charis Denny
“Guidelines For Using Herbs
• First and foremost, always listen to your body which will help guide you towards the best herbs for you!
• Educate Yourself! Do research and ask questions. There is a lot of information about herbs floating around on the internet.
Try to find reputable sources for your information. See Resources.
• Be patient. It takes time to get to know these amazing plants and find your unique path.
• Most herbs are safe for most folks when preparation and dosage guidelines are follfollowed.
• Stop taking an herb or preparation if you notice any adverse reactions.
• Use herbs prepared in the most traditional way possible.
• Buy herbs from reputable companies that really care about what they are selling and are not just out to make a buck. Some of my favorites are Herb Pharm, Wishgarden Herbs, Mountain Rose Herbs and Rebecca’s Herbal Apothecary and Supply.
• Be sure to address lifestye factors that may be affecting your health. For example, herbs can do little to help heal the lungs of a habitual smoker. As Michael Moore aptly put it, “Certainly herbs alone cannot bring relief to individuals whose very life style may be the cause of their illness.”2 So to get the most out of using herbs, stop smoking, eat a whole foods diet,”
The second magazine I reviewed was on Rosemary. Not only was the fresh herb covered with all it uses and indications, there was also a separate article on rosemary essential oil and rosemary flower essence. There are also some recipes for rosemary shampoo, hair rinse and rosemary hot chocolate.
Now for the best part. You can just purchase the magazines on their own and pay a mere $4.00/month. Or if you really want to get full value out of this whole opportunity you can purchase the magazine along with the monthly herbal box at $41/month.
The Natural Herbal Living Herb Box is tailored to help subscribers learn about each herb not only on an intellectual level, but on a physical one as well. Each month the boxes will include the ingredients to make several recipes shared in Natural Herbal Living Magazine. Each will have a professionally printed instructional manual and may include loose herbs, essential oils, flower essences, oils, butters, bees wax, honey, vinegars, and more, the retail value of which will average $40-50.
All of the ingredients will be organic or ethically wildcrafted whenever possible. No box will ever include gluten, nuts, corn, or dairy and great pains are taken to avoid soy as well, but the packaging cannot be guaranteed soy free at this time.
If you subscribe before the 15th of the month, you will receive your herb box the following month. Subscriptions made after the 15th of the month will not be received until the month after that. However, you will receive your magazine on its release date, no matter when you subscribe.
For November’s box 2013 box the theme is rose. The box will contain The ingredients to make an immune supporting tea, rose petals, rose hips, and the ingredients to make a rose vinegar and something extra special for subscribers. This box and magazine are only available for those who subscribe before the 15th of October.
**NOTE** At this time, the herb box is only available to US residents. If you live in another part of the world and would like an herb box, please let us know. If we have enough demand, we may be able to find herbalists to assemble and mail herb boxes in your area.
I am able to offer you a giveaway on this magazine. First if you sign up for the news letter you will receive the Approaching a Personal Herbal Practice issue for free. If you enter and win this giveaway you can get both that issue and the issue on Rosemary for free and the October issues on ginger. (The giveaway does NOT include the box but it can be ordered if you win.)
Enter below for this giveaway.